Prepare + Prosper can help you file a tax return, but did you know there are also organizations that can assist you with legal troubles with the IRS? These organizations are called Low-Income Tax Clinics (LITC), and Minnesota has two! One is operated by Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid and the other is through the University of Minnesota Law School Ronald M Mankoff Tax Clinic 

Each year students at the UMN Law School do outreach in the community to educate taxpayers of their rights, responsibilities, and ways the LITC can help with tax issues. Prepare + Prosper partnered with these students to record some presentations on common topics. 

What do I do if I haven’t filed in years? 

If you haven’t filed your taxes in years, the IRS may file your taxes for you using a process called Substitution for Return. Mohammad Ziny presents what to do if that happens to you.

What do I do if I owe the IRS? 

Owing money in back taxes can be daunting and feel hopeless. Skylar Mayhew shares what can be done to relieve this burden and how the LITC can help. 

What are your rights in an audit? 

The IRS audit process can be scary, but help is available through the LITC. Erik Breitenbach breaks down your rights during the audit process.  

Can I still get a refund if I owe back taxes? 

If you owe back taxes, your refund may be seized to pay the past debt. In some cases, you may be eligible to receive your refund, and John Hudson explains the process. 

What if my identity was stolen? 

Tax related identity theft may allow criminals to file false tax returns and steal your refund. Andrew Kim shares what steps you can take if you experience identity theft. 

Am I an employee or an independent contractor? 

An employer may wrongly classify you as an independent contractor which increases your tax burden. Caroline Moriarty explains how to determine if you’ve been misclassified and how to challenge it.  

If you need legal help with your tax situation, you can contact the UMN Law School LITC for additional help by calling 612-625-5515 or by email at Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid can be reached by calling 612-334-5970 or visiting 

 For assistance with tax preparation, reach out to Prepare + Prosper. You can call 651-287-0187 or visit to learn more about when appointments are available.