What to Bring -- Self-Employed

All self-employed tax customers must complete the Self-Employed Tax Organizer (SETO) before their appointment.

If you are a home daycare provider, please complete this Day Care Tax Organizer form instead of the one above. 

If you need editable versions of either, please contact Thomas Larson at 651-262-2159 or thomas[at]prepareandprosper.org.

You need to bring:

  • For each person listed on the return:  Social Security card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) card or letter AND birth date
  • Picture I.D.
  • Income statements or forms like the following:
  • Wages from each job (Form W-2)
  • Interest (Form 1099-INT)
  • Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
  • Retirement plans (Form 1099-R)
  • Gambling winnings (Form W-2G)
  • Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
  • Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099)
  • Miscellaneous income (1099-MISC)
  • Sale of stock (1099-B)
  • Scholarships and grants (1098-T)
  • Health insurance purchased thru MNsure (Form 1095-A)


Bring if it applies to you:

  • Prior year’s tax return (if available)
  • Verification of health insurance for each person listed on the return (1095-A or 1095-B)
  • Checking and/or savings account & routing numbers
  • Year-end income statements for MFIP, SSI, MSA, GA, veterans’ benefits, and worker’s compensation
  • Receipts for education expenses you paid for your children in grades K-12. For example: tutoring, rental/purchase of instruments, music lessons, pencils & notebooks
  • Tuition expenses you paid to attend a university/technical college (Form 1098-T)
  • Interest you paid on student loans (Form 1098-E)
  • Day care expenses you paid for your children. Bring provider’s name, address & tax ID or Social Security number
  • Records of cash and non-cash charitable contributions
  • Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid in 2014 (Form 1098) and Statement of Property Tax Payable in 2015 mailed by county in March
  • Renters: Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from your landlord