For Self-Employed

Self-employed? We can help you navigate the tax reporting system.

If you are self-employed, meaning you’re an independent contractor or you own your own business and have no employees, we can prepare your taxes for you. We'll help you organize expenses that can be deducted and claim credits you've earned.

We serve self-employed individuals whose household income is $55,000 or less per year.

Scheduling an appointment for self-employed tax prep

If you made more than $6,000 in 2016 or operated a home day care or are a paper carrier, you must have your taxes prepared at the self-employment tax clinic at our main office. Appointments are required.

If you made less than $6,000 in 2016, you may have your taxes prepared at any of our clinics.

What to bring with you

To make preparation of your taxes go efficiently, we require you to complete a Self-Employed Tax Organizer (SETO), linked to below. Please bring the completed form with you to your appointment. For day care providers, complete a Day Care Tax Organizer (in place of the SETO), linked to below.

Additionally, you will need to bring all items identified in our checklist of "What to Bring to a tax clinic."


Tools and Resources

Self-Employment Tax Organizer (English)  

Self-Employment Tax Organizer (Spanish) 

Day Care Tax Organizer (English) 

Day Care Tax Organizer (Spanish)

Income Expense Worksheet (English)

Income Expense Worksheet (Spanish)

Mileage Log (English)

SETO cheat sheet (English)

Estimated Tax Payments (English)

Please contact Tom Larson at thomas[at] for editable versions of the documents above.


Frequently Asked Questions 
Do I qualify for free tax preparation from Prepare + Prosper?

Our tax prep services are offered free of charge to self-employed taxpayers with an annual household income of $53,000 or less.

Where do I go to get my taxes done for free?

If you are self-employed and made more than $5,000 or operated a day care or are a paper carrier, you need to have your taxes prepared at Prepare + Prosper’s main office — 2610 University Ave. W., Suite 450, St. Paul, MN 55114.

If you are self-employed and made less than $4,000, you can have your taxes done at most other community sites.

Do I need to make an appointment?

Yes, self-employed taxpayers must make an appointment to have their taxes prepared. To schedule please call 651-262-2169 for English and 651-262-2159 for Spanish.

How long will it take to get my money?

Filling taxes the traditional way – where a check will be mailed to you — typically takes 14-21 days.

If you have a bank account, we can direct deposit your refund. You’ll typically (not always) receive your state refund in 4-5 business days and federal in 9-15 business days.

If you don’t have a bank account, let us know. We’ll work with you to open an account.